DMD 1.001 release

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas at famolsen.dk
Tue Jan 23 20:00:25 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:

> New pointer-aware GC. Should run significantly faster for some
> programs.
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
>
> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.001.zip

Nice to see a new release. Was getting used to weekly updates ;)

About the GC updates. I think it would be nice with some more
documentation on how it works now.
Your post about "Transitioning to a type aware Garbage Collector" has
some information that is critical to using it efficiently.

Until now I have been using some void[]'s for pixel data. As I
understand it I should change these to ubyte[] now to avoid the old
gc's conservative behaviour. (I realise I should probably have used
malloc or something before).

I see a few problems here, though I might be wrong. (not related to
pixels...)

Fx: If I used std.file.read to read a file I get a GC allocated void[].
It's not _that_ unlikely that some of the data could look like a
pointer. But the GC will handle the block as if it could all be
pointers as it is void[]. Is this correct?

In that case I would say these cases should be changed to ubyte[] as
the contents of a file does not hold any valid pointers.

I'm sure this applies to other areas of Phobos.

Hope I'm not talking completely out of my arse here! GC's is not really
something I know a whole lot about...