What's a commercial user to do???

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Wed Jan 24 23:23:27 PST 2007

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Oskar Linde wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> New pointer-aware GC.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the new GC results in segfaults for me.
>
> If one of the motives for a 1.0 release was to remove obstacles for
> using D in for-profit programming, the above quote blows it away.
>

> What the Real User (as opposed to us, groupies, DIYs or academics)
> needs, is a surefire way to recognize which release to use for his
> paying customers!
>
> This could be as simple as dividing the Change Log page into Stable and
> Unstable releases. And/or deciding on a numbering scheme. Or something.

I wonder if it actually should be decided by Walter at all? You never
know for sure if a release is truly stable until it's been exercised a
bit. DStress seems like a good start; if there are any regressions, it's
clearly not a stable release. And the more tests get added to it, the
more confidence we can have in it.