DMD 1.004 release

Jordan Miner jminer2613 at no.spam.students.pcci.edu
Sat Jan 27 17:49:29 PST 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Jordan Miner wrote:
> > Here is a problem I've found in post-1.00 versions.
>
> What's happening is you're writing into the string literal, which is not
> allowed. String literals should be regarded as readonly.
>
> Post-1.00 versions combine identical string literals, which is why you
> see the error.

I guess I thought that literals were allocated at runtime. Must have used Ruby too much...nothing wrong with changing its literals. I almost would like D's literals to be that way, but I can't think of a time that I'd actually want to change a literal, so it definitely wouldn't be worth the overhead.
Sorry for the mistake.