DMD 1.004 release

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sat Jan 27 21:38:47 PST 2007

Bob W wrote:
>>> Sounds like you work under Windows... :o)
>> Yep, looks like he does (mostly) :).
>
> He is a smart guy who probably does not feel like
> beta testing operating systems. Or maybe he just
> ran out of coffee too often while waiting for penguin's
> favorite compiler and linker to finish their jobs ....   ;-)

g++ is a slow compiler, and ld is a really slow linker, and I'm just
more used to windows quirks than linux quirks.

But the worst thing about linux development is gdb. gdb's user interface
seems stuck in 1983 era thinking. I can't even get the thing to display
the register contents. It won't pick up the program arguments from the
command line. Either I'm stupid, all this is missing from the
documentation, or gdb really is terrible.

I do all my debugging on windows. Even horrible old windbg is a decade
ahead of gdb.

I do like gcov, though.