DMD 1.004 release

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sun Jan 28 01:28:55 PST 2007

Thomas Kuehne wrote:
> Walter Bright schrieb am 2007-01-28:
> [...]
>> But the worst thing about linux development is gdb. gdb's user interface
>> seems stuck in 1983 era thinking.
>
> Have you tried "insight" or "ddd"?

No, I've never heard of them. Insight isn't on my machine. ddd is, and
looks interesting. I'll try it.

>> I can't even get the thing to display the register contents.
>
> print $ebp
> print $eax

There are a bunch of registers, I have to list them one at a time. It's
pretty miserable if you're single stepping trying to keep an eye on the
register contents. Every other debugger I've ever used, going back to
the 70's, could either dump all regs with a shorter command, or had a
window where the reg values were continuously updated.

>> It won't pick up the program arguments from the command line.
>
> run what ever argument

Where this falls down is when you've a long list of arguments to the
program. I'll write a simple .bat file like:
	windbg program arg arg arg ...
to run the debugger with the args. Doesn't work with gdb, because gdb
doesn't pick up debuggee args from the command line, making gdb very
tedious to use.

>> Either I'm stupid, all this is missing from the documentation, or gdb
>> really is terrible.
>
> "info gdb" should provide you with lots of documentation.

I didn't know that. You'd think:
	gdb --help
would have provided this information. Thanks for the pointers.