Tango 0.95 beta1 released

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Jan 31 19:46:54 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Dear D community
>>
>> The first public release of Tango is now ready for download.
>
> W00t!  Looks fabulous, and right on schedule, too.  The future is
> looking bright indeed.
>
> One thing I couldn't find browsing thought the docs: what's the
> situation with the GC?  Have Walter's type-aware additions made it in?

Yes.  Type-awareness was added as soon as the DMD bugs were sorted out.

> Or is it still necessary to add manual "no_pointers_here" calls in the
> Tango GC to avoid scans non-pointer memory blocks?

Previously, Tango keyed on element size so the "no pointers here" calls
still really weren't necessary as a default measure.  But with type
awareness things are still obviously much improved :-)

> One more question -- is there some kind of compile-time version check
> that can be used in code to determine if Tango is being used or not?
> I suspect there's going to be a transition period here where people
> would like to support both Phobos and Tango for those who haven't bit
> the Tango bullet yet.

The manual install guide suggests adding a "-version=Tango" to DFLAGS
for DMD, and the equivalent for GDC.  And I believe the installers will
take care of this for you as well.

Sean