Tango 0.95 beta1 released

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Jan 31 20:14:33 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>>> Dear D community
>>>
>>> The first public release of Tango is now ready for download.
>>
>> W00t!  Looks fabulous, and right on schedule, too.  The future is
>> looking bright indeed.
>>
>> One thing I couldn't find browsing thought the docs: what's the
>> situation with the GC?  Have Walter's type-aware additions made it in?
>
> Yes.  Type-awareness was added as soon as the DMD bugs were sorted out.
>
>> Or is it still necessary to add manual "no_pointers_here" calls in the
>> Tango GC to avoid scans non-pointer memory blocks?

Great.

> Previously, Tango keyed on element size so the "no pointers here" calls
> still really weren't necessary as a default measure.  But with type
> awareness things are still obviously much improved :-)

Well, I'm concerned primarily with large blocks of floats and doubles,
so I don't think the element size optimization would have benefited me much.

>> One more question -- is there some kind of compile-time version check
>> that can be used in code to determine if Tango is being used or not?
>> I suspect there's going to be a transition period here where people
>> would like to support both Phobos and Tango for those who haven't bit
>> the Tango bullet yet.
>
> The manual install guide suggests adding a "-version=Tango" to DFLAGS
> for DMD, and the equivalent for GDC.  And I believe the installers will
> take care of this for you as well.

Great.  I see it now.

To Kirk -- if no -version=Tango flag means a broken Tango, then the
wording on the Windows install page should probably be made a little
stronger:
    http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/WindowsInstall
It currently describes the flag as "optional".

--bb