Tango 0.95 beta1 released

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Jan 31 21:56:01 PST 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Dear D community
>
> The first public release of Tango is now ready for download.

Can you folks comment on what you see as the the transition plan?  The
migration document does a decent job explaining how to convert from
Phobos over to Tango whole hog, but realistically not everyone can make
this transition overnight.  So anyone writing libraries intended for
consumption by 3rd parties is faced with the options of
A) Port whole hog -- abandoning any users who are stuck with Phobos
B) Don't port at all -- annoying any users hoping to move to Tango
C) Port while maintaining compatibility -- annoying the poor me who has
to deal with incompatibilities in the most basic functions (e.g.
toString, writefln)

Option C) seems like the most logical.  And given that, it seems like a
compatibility library would be helpful.  Some way to make it easier to
write code that looks mostly like Tango code with a minimum of version
statements, but which actually calls on Phobos at the bottom layers.

Or maybe I've misunderstood the options.  Given the new GC and new
Object class it seems like any use of Tango with Phobos is radioactive
and fraught with peril, but maybe its not so bad?  For example, can one
use the io framework from Tango while still using Phobos as the std lib?

Anyway, I think a page on how to migrate from Phobos to Tango while
mainintaining backwards compatibility would be of great use to library
writers.

--bb