Tango 0.95 beta1 released

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Jan 31 23:31:07 PST 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Dear D community
>>
>> The first public release of Tango is now ready for download.
>
> Can you folks comment on what you see as the the transition plan?  The
> migration document does a decent job explaining how to convert from
> Phobos over to Tango whole hog, but realistically not everyone can make
> this transition overnight.  So anyone writing libraries intended for
> consumption by 3rd parties is faced with the options of
> A) Port whole hog -- abandoning any users who are stuck with Phobos
> B) Don't port at all -- annoying any users hoping to move to Tango
> C) Port while maintaining compatibility -- annoying the poor me who has
> to deal with incompatibilities in the most basic functions (e.g.
> toString, writefln)

I don't know that this is entirely fair--you paint the existence of
Tango as annoying in three entirely different ways :-).  That said, code
compatibility issues are (hopefully) not a long-term problem as people
will either port their code or they won't.  What worries me personally
about presenting option C as an official alternative is that it places
us (ie. the Tango team) in a position of supporting a Phobos facade for
a potentially indefinite period.

> Option C) seems like the most logical.  And given that, it seems like a
> compatibility library would be helpful.  Some way to make it easier to
> write code that looks mostly like Tango code with a minimum of version
> statements, but which actually calls on Phobos at the bottom layers.

I think it would be more the reverse.  A library that looks like Phobos
but calls Tango at the bottom layers.  But it's still a lot of code to
maintain that has no direct relation to the project.  Perhaps such a
thing could be created and managed separately?

Sean