Flower opened

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Mon Jun 4 21:11:45 PDT 2007

bobef wrote:
> jcc7 Wrote:
>
>> By the way, the flower may very well die on the vine with such a cryptic license.
>
> Guys, lets skip the crap. If you find the code useful - use it for good. Or don't. I don't care really.

Considering that the crap (namely, the ridiculous and highly restrictive
license) is coming from your end, I'd question who should be skipping
said crap.

> Just don't use it to make a flies exterminating piece software or library with license that allows it to be used in flies exterminating software.

Broad categories of uses that this prevents (due to possible indirect
damages):

  * Anything mechanical.
  * Anything which operates on a device which creates heat (like, oh,
Idonno, a computer).
  * Anything capable of controlling periphery devices which could
hypothetically be mechanical and/or create heat and/or have any form of
radiation (heat, light, nuclear, whatever).
  * Anything which encourages the use of a keyboard, which a fly or
other small insect could become trapped in inadvertantly.
  * Anything which exists in a physical universe with a timeline
following basic laws of causality.

Oh right, and there's only one redistribution license that would be
legal under yours. Here it is:

Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

Permission is not granted, and is explicitly disallowed, regardless of
fees or charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and
associated documentation files (the "Software"), to use it in any
manner, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify,
merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software.

  - Gregor Richards