DMD 2.000 alpha release

Lionello Lunesu lio at lunesu.remove.com
Mon Jun 18 00:13:21 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> This is an alpha release to try out the const/final/invariant stuff.

Earlier than expected! Congratulations!

> The current definition of string is:
>
>     alias const(char)[] string;
>
> Andrei has argued strongly to make it invariant. I think he's probably
> right, and that change might happen next.

It might be a good idea if you'd post the minutes of your meetings with
Andrei. The community got irritated (grain of salt, please) when it had
the feeling D got designed behind its back, and that was when Andrei was
frequently posting!

> The documentation isn't thorough, I don't want to spend too much time on
> it until I'm sure we've got the design right.

Small thing:
int* q = const_castp; // ok
Seems that the < and > aren't escaped?

> Expect changes to this. Much more to come! For stability, I recommend
> sticking with the 1.0 series, which I will maintain with bug fixes.

I especially enjoy string/wstring/dstring, believe it or not.. :)

Thanks for this.

L.