DMD 2.000 alpha release

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jun 18 14:05:17 PDT 2007

BLS wrote:
> Seems to me that D is going into the wrong direction.
> Are you really sure that strings should be inmutable by default?
> Not in my world. In my world an invariant string is the *Exeption*.

String literals have always been immutable. The string alias is just
that, an alias. You can still use char[] if you prefer, which would be
mutable strings.

> I hate that feature because it s nature is /pessimistic/ and says "Do
> not trust the programmer".

The motivating factor for const is that as program complexity increases,
being able to put more of the specification of an interface into the
code itself (rather than relying on the documentation) will increase the
reliability of the system.

The trust the programmer part in D comes from there being an escape from
the typing system (in the form of the cast).

> So please tell me what do we have to expect from D 2 ?
> More CPP like programming refined with syntactic sugar,or something that
> makes D comparable to Java s useablility ?

Java has no escape from its typing system.