DMD 2.000 alpha release

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 06:39:43 PDT 2007

eao197 wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:25:23 +0400, Chris Nicholson-Sauls
> <ibisbasenji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been specifically sitting on all my projects, twiddling my
>> thumbs, just waiting /for/ the new final|const|invariant!  Now I'm
>> just waiting for Tango to go D/2.0 and I can get down to serious work
>> again (finally).
>
> <old-talk>
> Some time ago I waited for D 1.0. Now I'm awaiting D 2.0. Then, I'm
> afraid, I would wait for next major stable version of D. There ins't any
> sign that after almost seven years of development D will became stable
> and mature language.
>
> Excuse me for repeating that.
> </old-talk>

You are excused, especially since I've played the same waiting game
(indeed).  That said, I'm probably going to just ride the 2.0 branch at
this point and be happy.  I'll refactor if and when anything
just-too-nifty comes along.

>> This is going to save me plenty of memory costs (imagine, no longer
>> .dup'ing lots of strings and other arrays just to play it safe against
>> silly end users modifying what they shouldn't) not to mention
>> debugging headaches.
>
> How do you plain to reduce count of .dup's in D 2.0?

By returning const views rather than copies.  Or in some cases,
referances to invariant data.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls