mixin + CTFE, to big a hammer??

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Thu Mar 1 12:54:00 PST 2007

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:30:13 -0800, BCS wrote:

> I have been thinking about the new functionality added by the code mixin
> and CTFE features and I'm thinking that they may be "to big a hammer"
> for may jobs.

> Just some thoughts, what do you all think?

<opinion>
They seem to be a highly complex solution that should only be used on the
type of problem that just cannot be cost-effectively be solved in any other
way. I can see that most organizations will ban their use except in a few
circumstances and then only after they have been extremely well justified.
They add a level of complexity that increases the cost of code maintenance
and that needs to be weighed up on a cost-benefit basis.

The current syntax and semantics for mixins, templates, and CTFE are
difficult for the average programmer to understand. Their usage will become
common place only for the exceptionally gifted coder and maybe a toy/tool
for code obfuscation contests.

I will have little or no use for CTFE in my projects.
</opinion>

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia