Emacs & D wiki update

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Mar 1 18:38:30 PST 2007

> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> I updated the info on emacs at Wiki4d, for any y'all using emacs for
>> your D coding.
>>
>> In particular I spent way too much time today figuring out how to get
>> M-x compile to actually take to to the source given DMD compiler error
>> messages.
>>
>> Note to Walter:  *all* error messages should be prefixed with "Error"
>> "Warning" or "Remark" if you want emacs to grok them out of the box.
>> Currently it's hit-or-miss.  Some of them are, some of them aren't.
>
> I think standardized compiler messages are a must to gain acceptance of
> D. Thanks Bill for the great work!
>
> I am getting the following error with both emacs21 and a Xft-capable
> version that I built from a later branch:
>
> File mode specification error: (void-variable c-symbol-key)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Heh, I never looked closely at the code, but I just realized that other
d-mode has absolutely nothing to do with the D Programming Language.
It's like definition files for some compiled Lisp implementation.
Here's an example of *that* D code:
   http://clisp.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/clisp/clisp/src/array.d

The bizarre thing is that I actually like the way it highlights D code
*better* than Ben Hinkle's d-mode.  That's really bizarre.  I think it's
just that's because it's based on emacs 22's cc-mode, so really all I'm
seeing is the upgraded cc-mode at work.

So realizing this, I decided to try to update Ben Hinkle's mode.  It now
works for me at least in both Emacs 21 and 22.    You can get it here:
    http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?EditorSupport/EmacsDMode

Hopefully that will work for you.   If not, maybe tell me what version
of emacs you have (M-x version) and what version of cc-mode you have
(M-x c-version).  But honestly I'm not really much of an elisp hacker. I
know just enough to be dangerous.  :-)

--bb