x86_64 support please!

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas at famolsen.dk
Fri Mar 2 05:51:57 PST 2007

BLS wrote:

> Seems to be a good chance to start re-implementing the complete D
> Tool-Chain Development in D.
> (Instead of using C and ASM)
> IMO D 2.0 should be implemented in D (seperated from 1.x) , even if the
> 2.0 Backend is closed source.
> Bjoern
>

> Kiriakos Alexoglou schrieb:
>> Please Walter add support for x86_64!
>>
>> I use Suse Linux 10.0 and developing in Qt and
>> I want to try make Qt bindings for dmd.
>>
>> The bindings that exist for Qt right now,
>> can all work with x86_64 architectures.
>>
>> In my personal opinion x86_64 support is
>> more important than adding additional feutures to dmd.
>>
>> Right now I have to switch to the 32 bit version of Qt 4.2
>> and start making the bindings for it. I have no other choice.
>>
>> There are so many additional registers waiting to get used
>> by all of us! :-)
>>
>> Thank you for the exciting D language
>> you offered to all of us!
>> Keep up the good work!!!
>>

>> *I think the D Logo with the Dolphin on it at
>> http://www.sukimashita.com/d/ is very nice!!!

By using the LLVM backend D could be implemented in D.
LLVM is C++ but you can output a ASM-like text file instead. I'm not sure
how much this would hurt performance, but I'm guessing it's not that much.
Also compared to what is gained it's a small price to pay.

LLVM has a bytecode VM, JIT and some pretty neat optimisation technology.

I think it could be interesting...