[OT] Re: x86_64 support please!

Jascha Wetzel "[firstname]" at mainia.de
Fri Mar 2 12:40:27 PST 2007

> In case that you are talking about GCC,
> 1)fat bottom binaries
> 2)a never ending compile link cycle.

i wasn't specifically talking about any compiler.
it's probably true that GCC has the properties you describe, but i don't
understand why they are caused by intermediate code generation or cross
compilation.

>> compilers have intermediate code generation for decades....
> Yep. And this is good for what ?

- easier/faster optimization
- machine independent optimization
- portability. not just different platforms, but also different feature
sets and versions

maybe that's just theory. i never implemented an optimizing compiler
myself. but that's what the dragonbook and friends say. i'm very
interested in more practical knowledge about these things. right now i
just can't see why ICG should cause any trouble.