Descent 0.2 released

Ary Manzana ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue Mar 6 14:15:20 PST 2007

Descent is a work in progress towards a fully functional Eclipse plugin
for D.

Explanations on how to get it from within eclipse are here:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent

This release features:

- a nice and useful editor
- folding
- automatic closing of strings, brackets, chars and comments
- a complete outline view
- automatic documentation generation over types and functions (try
typing "/**" + Enter over a type or function with some parameters and
return type
- some code templates (for, foreach, new, cast)
- New Package and New Module wizards
- Some preferences (like colors of the syntax highligting, file
templates, initial foldings).
- The inability to rename a file
- Still no automatic formatting (bad for the code templates, also)

... and lots of JDT features that are still not here, so don't wonder
why they do not work. I mean, you'll see some "classpath", some "jre",
some "jar", maybe... this need to be changed in the feature to D
terminology... and need to do something. :-)

Currently the plugin just serves as a not-that-dummy editor: it doesn't
do autocompletion and it doesn't compile, and you can't launch or deubg
application from within it.

Future directions:
1. Compiling files from within the IDE.
2. Launching from within the IDE.
3. Debugging from within the IDE (maybe integration with Ddbg is possible?)
4. Autocompletion, semantic highlighting, full error listing, search,
refactoring, etc (the hard part).

Anyone interested in contributing for the project, drop a message in the
forums:

http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=107

(or if Walter kindly decides to open a new list related to editors... :-P)

Before this point I didn't allow contributions because almost the whole
work was in porting JDT's code. Now is the moment to tweak it and add D
stuff. Especially a separate project would be the debug interface plugin.

One more thing: I'm thinking of renaming the project to Déjàvu (it has
the letter D, it has "jav" on it, and it reminds you of some other
plugin...). What do you think?