Descent 0.2 released

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Mar 6 16:05:11 PST 2007

Mark Wrenn wrote:
> Ary Manzana wrote:
>> One more thing: I'm thinking of renaming the project to Déjàvu (it has
>> the letter D, it has "jav" on it, and it reminds you of some other
>> plugin...). What do you think?
>

> Frank Benoit's Tioport project has a library called dejavu.

Ooh, that's a good one.  Wait a minute -- haven't I seen this code
before?  :-)  Using "dejavu" for a java to D conversion tool definitely
trumps any other usage I can think of, except for perhaps a D to java
conversion tool... or a D tool specifically for viewing Java code.  But
neither of those is likely to happen.  :-)

Maybe you can think of a good name with vaguely astronomical
connotations, since we have Digital Mars on the one hand and Eclipse on
the other.

Some random words that may spark an idea:
   radioactive
   radial
   red shift
   asteroid
   meteoroid

Or how about "Pathfinder"?  Named after the successful Martian rover
mission.  It has a 'd', it's positive, it has a Mars/astronomy
connections, and it's roughly descriptive of what the software actually
does (help you find your way through piles of code).

Or forget all that and just call it "9D9".  Because it sounds like some
kind of cool bounty hunter robot.

Radial/radio are not bad either -- "Rad" tool for "D".

--bb