GDC release 0.23

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Mar 7 07:38:35 PST 2007

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>>> The double+double type has caused me no end of trouble, but I think
>>> it is important to maintain interoperability with C.  If I make the D
>>> 'real' implementation IEEE double, there would be no way interact
>>> with C code that uses 'long double'.  I could add another floating
>>> point type for this purpose, but that would diverge from the D spec
>>> more than what I have now.
>>
>> Yeah that doesn't sound like a very attractive option.  Some of the
>> later replies in the Darwin thread mention a compiler switch:
>>
>> http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-development/2001/Jan/msg00471.html
>>
>> Is that a possibility?  Or did that switch not make it into an actual
>> release?
>
> There are two switches: -mlong-double-64 and -mlong-double-128,
> just that the second one ("double-double") is now the default...

Oh I see.  That thread above suggested the opposite.  Could GDC simply
key the size of real off this switch as well then?  If the point is for
real to map to double-double, then it must be aware of it, correct?  I
know it's not ideal to have the size of any variable change dynamically,
but this seems like a case where doing so may actually be desirable.

Sean