New look for archives

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 18:01:49 PST 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> I'd still suggest making the text inside the <pre> blocks
>> wrappable.  You can do this either by using ordinary <div>s
>> instead of <pre>s for the PostingBody, or adding the
>> following CSS attribute to the PostingBody class in
>> /d/style.css:
>>
>> white-space: normal;
>>
>> This will make user-agents rewrap text, eliminating
>> horizontal scroll bars.
>
> I tried it, but it wraps code, too, goofing it all up.

Not to mention that:
- it would destroy indentation as it did before, unless you
explicitly convert leading spaces, multiple spaces and tabs to
&nbsp;

- it would create a mess of line breaks in strange places for
some of us, who may be using lower-resolution displays or a
large font.

But a good course of action, at least IMO, would be handle
format=flowed messages by setting word wrap and using explicit

BTW I noticed a bug - it fails to replace & with &amp;.  As well
as being just one cause of the many validation errors, it's
bound to alter what some people wrote, including here.

Stewart.