OT: Re: Ddbg 0.0.5 alpha release

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Mar 21 17:06:35 PDT 2007

Charlie wrote:
> Jascha Wetzel wrote:
>> Ddbg is a Win32 D Debugger
>>
>> http://ddbg.mainia.de/releases.html
>>
>> This release mainly fixes a bad bug ignoring most source lines in larger
>> applications and adds DMD 1.009 union support.
>
> I love how you also provide a URL in your posts, makes me so angry when
> people don't.
>
> Also ddbg rocks , has anyone done anything with emacs integration ?
>
> Charlie

I played with getting emacs working a bit.
You can definitely debug with ddbg_gdb in emacs under M-x gdb.

Current source line display works but display of breakpoints and
probably other things do not.  This is unfortunately not easy to fix.  I
debugged  gdb-mode enough to figure out that display of breakpoints
basically requires support for --annotate=3 type output.  And that's
pretty annoying for Jascha to have to support just for emacs' sake.

Plus, currently the gdb folks are working on a whole new interface
called GDBMI that will replace --annotate=3, and Jascha has said that he
has vague plans to support that.  Unfortunately the spec for that seems
to be in flux right now.  I couldn't even get a combination of
emacs/gdbmi-mode/gdb working, so there's not much hope currently of
getting the emacs/gdbmi-mode/ddbg_gdb combination working.

Unless someone just has gobs of time to spend on this, I think the best
plan is to just wait for GDBMI to become mainstream, and then support that.

But in the meantime basic M-x gdb seems to work.  You just can't see
your breakpoints.

--bb