OT: Years of Errors

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Wed Mar 28 16:02:55 PDT 2007

Manfred Nowak wrote:
> 2_300_000 Euro, two years too late, still not capable to serve the
> contracted workload and more then ten severe errors in the bug-tracker.
>
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/87499/from/rss09
>
> Who can show, that choosing D as implementation language would have
> avoided such a desaster?
>
> -manfred

Only having read the referred article, I do suspect that it's all about
administrative failures at the contractor.

I've been involved in several SW disasters, both as client, independent
contractor, employee of contractor, and outside (more or less) post
mortem consultant. When you dig deep enough, IMHO, it very seldom is a
question of inadequate choice of language or platform. (Although the
language and the platform are the ones that usually end up as
scapegoats. That way nobody accuses each other, thus avoiding throwing
the first stone in a glass house where everyone is guilty and/or a wimp.)

Lack of information exchange between the actual programmer(s) and end
users, sloppiness of middle management, private agendas, and a general
disinterest by the formally responsible parties (COOs, Political
Leaders, or top management in general), are the overwhelmingly most
prevalent causes of software project disaster -- in my own experience.
And in that order.

The chosen language would not seem to be the case here.

OTOH, in a number of several minor projects (less than 1 man-year), the
choice of language actually has made a difference, in my past
experience. In those cases, the chosen programming language (or, more to
the point, the libraries or the framework) have drawn enough resources
to actually suck manpower from management and administration of the
project.

Middle management's default reaction upon discovering slippage of
timetables (i.e. smoothing out, covering up, wishful thinking, and
downrigh lying), usually only exacerbates the brewing disaster.