OT: Years of Errors

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 22:50:00 PDT 2007

Daniel Keep wrote:

> It's like that discussion on vampiric vegetables: I *never* would have
> known about that if not for the internet (and this NG in particular).
> My knowledge of the world has expanded vastly since I found out about
> Wikipedia :P
>
> That said, I do think it's still anti-social.  I spend pretty much all
> of my time in my little cave, wrapped in the warm glow of my CRT.
> Sometimes, even I feel the need to go outside and actually spend time
> with people.
>
> Pity I'm not very good at it; I'd probably be a lot happier if I was :P
>
> 	-- Daniel

Meh, I'd say we are socializing right now.

Of course, you could say that if one were to only interact with people
through the internet, then that person's skills with body language,
facial expressions, verbal communication, and other such up-close
communications could become severely diminished due to lack of use.  It
wouldn't be surprising anyways.

Well, the question I ask myself is this: there are obviously human
beings communicating here, so how is that a solitary activity?
I conclude that it isn't, but exclusively pursuing activities like this
may lead to problems like I mentioned above.

Also, consider the relationships.  The D newsgroup does not seem to be a
place for romance, beer buddies, discussions of family life, "those guys
I chill with in the Walmart parking lot", war stories, partying, and all
of those other potential dimensions to a person's relationships.
Rather, I really appreciate this newsgroup for being some kind of
awesome aggregation or attractor of really smart people, and a place for
intelligent and often professional discussion.