Ubuntu (was: Entice Designer 0.8.2 release)

Saaa empty at needmail.com
Tue May 1 02:29:07 PDT 2007

> I've never worked with Vista, I have with Ubuntu. Before using ubuntu
> I thought I might be swayed and at least wanted to install it on my
> parents computer, but I wasn't really satisfied with compatibility of
> software(which isn't listed as ubuntu'safe'?)

What exactly do you mean with that?
+the ones with the ubuntu icon in front. Installing one without it would for
instance have  freakishly small fonts

> and the explorer was kinda not really user-friendly for me :)

I quite like it most of the time, but there are other file managers
available if you prefer them...  :)
+I didn't like that I couldn't select multiple file with the mouse because I
had no space to start my rectangle
+you could only start below all the lines

> (and then there is the drag drop which won't bring a window to front
> when I have something hanging above it

IIRC there are settings for such things "somewhere".
+I did find the option to bring windows up front after some time
+but thats not what I meant

> and the dead keys (which I had to enable) which keeps on bleeping
> when I hit ' + t in "don't"

That's your punishment for turning normal keys into dead keys...   ;-P
+Why can't it just enter the ' iso the bleep? (like in windows)
+'Why don't you parté'  <--no bleeps nor compose keys needed, only the '

If your keyboard layout doesn't have dedicated dead keys, it's probably
better to use a compose key (enable it in the keyboard configuration)
and/or AltGr (or AltGr-emulation on right Alt) to enter accented
letters.
+compose keys sounds like more trouble, but then again I don't really know
what they are :D

E.g., by default my Belgian keyboard has <'> (single quote mark), <'>
(single closing quote mark) and <´> (acute accent), with the last 2
accessible through AltGr, and only the "accent" one being a dead key...

> and last my videocard wasn't supported, my screen didn't want to go
> to 100Hz,

Even if it doesn't work out-of-the-box, I would be surprised if it
really would not be possible to force it.  :)
+Well my videocard really did not work.. after a few blue screens I gave up
(had my time better to spend:)
+and I saw that my error wasn't uncommon (can't remember it though:
something with X being from a different version or something)
+I added the refreshrates, but somehow it didn't let me go beyond 85Hz

> and colour management is crap)

That depends on the application, e.g. Scribus and some other
applications have good colour management (through liblcms).
+I meant fullscreen colour managment, the thing you save with jpeg files for
instance
+but maybe you meant the same.. I dunno :D

--
JanC