OT: Ubuntu (was: Entice Designer 0.8.2 release)

Jan Claeys usenet at janc.be
Sat May 5 12:21:19 PDT 2007

Op Tue, 1 May 2007 11:29:07 +0200
schreef "Saaa" <empty at needmail.com>:

> > I've never worked with Vista, I have with Ubuntu. Before using
> > ubuntu I thought I might be swayed and at least wanted to install
> > it on my parents computer, but I wasn't really satisfied with
> > compatibility of software(which isn't listed as ubuntu'safe'?)
>
> What exactly do you mean with that?

> +the ones with the ubuntu icon in front. Installing one without it
> would for instance have  freakishly small fonts

That was probably a Qt application.  There is a Qt configuration tool
somewhere that allows you to change the Qt default font size.

Qt is/includes a GUI programming framework comparable to Gtk (the
standard Ubuntu GUI uses Gtk).

> > and the explorer was kinda not really user-friendly for me :)

> +I didn't like that I couldn't select multiple file with the mouse
> because I had no space to start my rectangle
> +you could only start below all the lines

You can use Ctrl+Click and/or Shift+Click instead.

> > (and then there is the drag drop which won't bring a window to front
> > when I have something hanging above it
>
> IIRC there are settings for such things "somewhere".

> +I did find the option to bring windows up front after some time
> +but thats not what I meant

If that helps somewhat, windows come to the front if you hover over
their "button" in the Window list at the bottom of the screen.

> > and the dead keys (which I had to enable) which keeps on bleeping
> > when I hit ' + t in "don't"
>
> That's your punishment for turning normal keys into dead keys...   ;-P

> +Why can't it just enter the ' iso the bleep? (like in windows)
> +'Why don't you parté'  <--no bleeps nor compose keys needed, only
> the '

I think it's maybe possible to do that, but it would require creating a
new keymap for your keyboard layout (possibly by extending an existing
keymap for your keyboard).

> If your keyboard layout doesn't have dedicated dead keys, it's
> probably better to use a compose key (enable it in the keyboard
> configuration) and/or AltGr (or AltGr-emulation on right Alt) to
> enter accented letters.

> +compose keys sounds like more trouble, but then again I don't really
> know what they are :D

AltGr is less trouble than compose keys, but I have no idea if that's
supported in one of the existing keymaps for your keyboard layout.

> +Well my videocard really did not work.. after a few blue screens I
> gave up (had my time better to spend:)
> +and I saw that my error wasn't uncommon (can't remember it though:
> something with X being from a different version or something)
> +I added the refreshrates, but somehow it didn't let me go beyond 85Hz

Did you install any graphics drivers that didn't come from the Ubuntu
repositories?

> > and colour management is crap)
>
> That depends on the application, e.g. Scribus and some other
> applications have good colour management (through liblcms).

> +I meant fullscreen colour managment, the thing you save with jpeg
> files for instance
> +but maybe you meant the same.. I dunno :D

If you mean .ics profiles and related things, then yes that's what I
mean.   :)

--
JanC