Stick a fork in it

Aarti_pl aarti at interia.pl
Thu May 10 04:40:22 PDT 2007

Bastiaan Veelo pisze:
> Aarti_pl wrote:
>> Any chances to get these branches in the form of open SVN repository
>> accessible from D main page? It would be really big step forward IMHO...
>
> Hi,
>
> Is a repository with just the front-end useful to you? At least there is
> http://dgcc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dgcc/trunk/d/ and you can readily
> build a compiler with it. Not sure however if David is going to support
> two branches, or stick with one of them.
>
> Regards,
> Bastiaan.

Your link points to GDC sources, but I wrote about DMD sources. GDC is
different compiler, with additional modifications necessary to work with
gcc. What's more svn repository of DMD sources should be rather
accessible from DMD page not from other places...

Source should be available because it's easier to track changes, check
out one specific revision of compiler and prepare patches.

I think also that it makes much better impression about openess of
compiler development and rises quality of code. It gives also some sort
of security, as open projects with many contributors are more likely to
survive in longer term...

Of course I am not expecting that Walter will put there sources for
programs which are currently closed...

BR
Marcin Kuszczak
(aarti_pl)