Stick a fork in it

Deewiant deewiant.doesnotlike.spam at gmail.com
Sat May 12 01:12:13 PDT 2007

renoX wrote:
> While this makes it easy to remember, I can't help but thinking about
> all these people who claims that functional programming is better..
>
> If they're right then it should be totally the opposite:
> invariants by default and if we want to have a variable then we have to
> precise it..

Walter said once that he should have made const the default (this is before this
const/final/invariant stuff, so just replace const with "any constant
qualifier"). See the following Google Groups link, near the bottom of the post:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++.moderated/tree/browse_frm/thread/d6695737a74e1853/18dc841928a6eee3#doc_3ff8dedacef55e17

FWIW, I think it's still not too late, especially with the 2.0 fork there can't
possibly be "[t]oo much water under the bridge". If the whole const system is
being rewritten anyway, might as well bring in const by default.

--
Remove ".doesnotlike.spam" from the mail address.