file.read in cppstrings.hpp page

Kevin Bealer kevinbealer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:54:18 PST 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Thank-you.

Also, great job on all the recent progress here!  I don't follow these forums as closely as I used to but the language is still improving amazingly fast.  The press and blogging I see about D always seems to be positive as well -- it actually seems as if everyone who takes a close look at it likes it.

By the way, I ran into this when I tried making a C++ version of the "wc" example using hash_map (in g++).  It seems to run faster than the map version -- but still a lot slower than the D code.

The timing values I got were something like:

C++ w/ map: .49 seconds.
C++ w/ hash_map .33 seconds.
D version: .105 seconds.

Kevin