MiniD binding library update, better compilation on Linux

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 22 17:22:05 PST 2007

"Dejan Lekic" <dejan.lekic at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fi55nn$30pl$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Will MiniD support as much as possible of the D standard?

MiniD's a scripting language in the vein of Lua and Squirrel.  Beyond some
basic syntactic and semantic similarities to D, it bears little resemblance
to it.

> If not, what are the reasons why one should not use DMDScript instead? (I
> can guess only one - license)

Even DMDScript has nothing to do with D.  For that matter, I have no idea
why it's called DMDScript.  Because the D version is compiled with DMD?  Who
knows.  It's an implementation of ECMAScript (JavaScript).

DMDScript is fine if you're making a DOM compatible web browser and not much
else.  As you've mentioned, the license is an issue.  The native API is
extremely basic.  ECMAScript itself is not often used outside of web
scripting mostly because it's sort of a vanilla language with not many
features.

MiniD as a language has a much richer set of features compared to
ECMAScript.  The reference implementation has also been designed from the
ground up to be truly integrated with D: it uses D's exceptions, D's GC,
makes heavy use of templates, and is object-oriented.  No other scripting
language implementation (even DMDScript) can make those claims when it comes
to D.