Phobos is now on dsource

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Nov 26 17:07:41 PST 2007

Brad Roberts wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>
>> Brad Roberts, el 26 de noviembre a las 11:07 me escribiste:

>>> For the short term (and quite possibly long term), I don't expect to use
>> Any reason to not use git[1]? At least I saw Walter posting[2] to its mailing
>> list, which made me thought that he were using (or planning to use) it for
>> internal development...
>
> Two reasons:
>
> 1) dsource doesn't (yet) support git and using the community standard site
> is and was important to me.
>
> 2) git comes with an even higher learning curve than svn does.  While I
> like what I see with git (been playing with and using it for various
> personal project since it's inception), it's not ready for the teeming
> masses, and by that I mean Walter.
>
> 3) Walter's post was D advertising, not him using it.

4) git is not ready for Windows yet.  Apparently there are people
working on making it usable, but it's definitely no where near the
standards set by the SVN GUIs on Windows.  Monotone or Mercurial seem to
be much better off in cross-platform support, but none of the new gen of
scms are really up to the level of SVN or CVS yet for usability and
ubiquity.

--bb