Phobos is now on dsource

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Nov 27 08:04:16 PST 2007

Peter C. Chapin wrote:
> Alexander Panek wrote:
>
>>> I honestly hope Phobos will remain what it is - a simple, core
>>> library, and I hope it will not "evolve" into a huge framework of
>>> JAVA API, or .NET 2 size.
>> I'm not sure what the cause of this "fear" is?
>
> A large standard library bulks up the language (where by "language" I
> mean the actual programming language plus its standard library
> facilities). Such bulk is undesirable in places where it isn't needed,
> such as embedded systems or other small scale environments. Since D
> wants to be a systems programming language a huge, expansive *standard*
> library seems incompatible with that positioning. At least it does to me.

Ironically, this is exactly who Tango was designed the way it is.  The
runtime can be distributed entirely separate from the user code, and the
user code is rarely inter-dependent either.  In my opinion, this grants
the best of both worlds.  Embedded programmers can toss all the code
they don't need or don't want to port, but it's still available to those
with more modest demands.

Sean