DMD 1.024 and 2.008 releases

Markus Dittrich markusle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:59:13 PST 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> korogu wrote:
> > Version 2.007 worked fine, but trying to run 2.008 I got :
> >
> > dmd: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by dmd)
> >
> > How can i correct that :-s ?
> >

> This versin of dmd was compiled with the latest ubuntu, which probably
> uses the latest C runtime library. So can you install the latest C
> shared runtime library?

It looks like the only symbol requiring >=glibc-2.4 in the binary is

[dittrich at despina] readelf -s ./dmd.bin | grep GLIBC_2.4
    69: 00000000    70 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT  UND __stack_chk_fail at GLIBC_2.4 (10)

which probably means that you used "-fstack-protector" or sth similar to compile the
dmd source. Without it, the requirement for a newer glibc may actually go away.
Otherwise, dmd.bin could also be distributed as a static binary at the cost of a (much)
larger filesize.

Markus