DMD 1.024 and 2.008 releases

Markus Dittrich markusle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:44:25 PST 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Markus Dittrich wrote:
> > It looks like the only symbol requiring >=glibc-2.4 in the binary is
> >
> > [dittrich at despina] readelf -s ./dmd.bin | grep GLIBC_2.4
> >     69: 00000000    70 FUNC    GLOBAL DEFAULT  UND __stack_chk_fail at GLIBC_2.4 (10)
> >
> > which probably means that you used "-fstack-protector" or sth similar to compile the
> > dmd source. Without it, the requirement for a newer glibc may actually go away.
> > Otherwise, dmd.bin could also be distributed as a static binary at the cost of a (much)
> > larger filesize.
>
> I didn't use that switch. Hmm, do both 1.0 and 2.0 dmd's have this problem?

The only thing I can think of right now is that some distros may patch their
gcc specs such that certain flags are being applied by default without
user interaction. But I don't know if this is the case for ubuntu since I've
never used it. You could always try to explicitly turn it off via
"-fno-stack-protector" (assuming that your gcc has this flag, mine does)
and see if that symbol goes away.

cheers,
Markus