Phobos is now on dsource

Peter C. Chapin pchapin at sover.net
Thu Nov 29 04:06:27 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:

> Ironically, this is exactly who Tango was designed the way it is.  The
> runtime can be distributed entirely separate from the user code, and the
> user code is rarely inter-dependent either.  In my opinion, this grants
> the best of both worlds.  Embedded programmers can toss all the code
> they don't need or don't want to port, but it's still available to those
> with more modest demands.

That's a nice approach, of course. Still... if Tango was standard and if
a third party was building a fresh implementation of D, it would be
"necessary" to provide the entire library (in order to conform to the
standard) even if the intended audience only wanted a fraction of it.

The C standard distinguishes between "hosted" and "freestanding"
implementations as one way of handling this issue. I guess this is the
same as the two-tiered approach I mentioned earlier.

Still, as was mentioned elsewhere, since D is garbage collected
targetting extremely small machines such as 8 bit microcontrollers with
16K of RAM (for example) is probably not in D's future anyway. Thus
standard library size might not be that big a deal for it.

Peter