Parallel Programming

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Oct 3 10:53:47 PDT 2007

Pablo Ripolles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as many of you have already read, there is an ongoing discussion about the different paradigms/environments/approaches of parallel programming, particularily aimed towards how to exploite the evenly more common multi-core processors.
>
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=214627
> http://blogs.intel.com/research/2007/10/parallel_programming_environme.html
>
> I'd like to hear about D community point of view!  Is the std.thread our solution? Is there anyone expecting or following another approach?

This is probably more appropriate for d.D, but the D community has been
working on other approaches as well.  Mikola Lysenko has implemented
coroutines and a variant of CAR Hoare's CSP.  And I believe someone has
implemented Herb Sutter's futures as well.  Also, Tango contains a
clustering model that could be applied to in-process parallel
programming fairly easily.  In short, while I think threads are a
necessary part of parallel programming, I don't think that explicit
thread management is how most people will be doing parallel programming
in D.

Sean