DMD 1.022 and 2.005 releases

Bruce Adams tortoise_y4 at yeah.who.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 13:20:25 PDT 2007

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Aarti_pl wrote:
> > I just wonder if it wouldn't be better to allow external plugins for
> > DMD. This way you could just create different plugins to allow different
> > name mangling and different interpretation of data in extern() sections...
> >
> > We could have then different plugins written by external vendors eg:
> > CPP_GCC
> > CPP_MSVC
> > Pascal
> > etc.
> >
> > Walter, did you think about solution like this?
>
> No.
>
> > Is there possibility to implement this?
>
> I think the number of different calling conventions in use is pretty
> limited, so the benefit may not be there.

I was going to post a similar question. I do most of my development via gcc. I'm only using DMD on windows rather than gdc because its more reliable (relative to the current state of gdc on cygwin). I have a
lot of current C++ code working under gcc which is one thing holding me back from adopting D wholesale. A way of supporting gcc style name mangling as opposed to M$ would be very useful.

Regards,

Bruce.