DMD 1.022 and 2.005 releases

Mon Oct 8 15:49:48 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Bruce Adams wrote:
>> I was going to post a similar question. I do most of my development
>> via gcc. I'm only using DMD on windows rather than gdc because its
>> more reliable (relative to the current state of gdc on cygwin). I
>> have a lot of current C++ code working under gcc which is one thing
>> holding me back from adopting D wholesale. A way of supporting gcc
>> style name mangling as opposed to M$ would be very useful.
>
> Supporting gcc name mangling isn't enough, as dmd on Windows doesn't
> generate ELF and is incompatible with gcc on many levels.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if mangling was taken care of such code
could still be linked if for example the C++ code was in a DLL, right?
Or is the C++ parameter & result passing of mingw/cygwin g++ so
different from any method supported by DMD?
(IIRC on Linux it's basically the C calling convention with an implicit
first 'this' argument for member functions and s/&/*/ on all types)

> A more practical approach is to recompile your C++ source using DMC++.

That would depend on how much of it there is to recompile, wouldn't it? :P
(Also, the code may use GNU extensions to C++ not present in DMC,
requiring more work to port than a simple recompile)