DSSS 0.73 released.

Graham St Jack grahams at acres.com.au
Wed Oct 10 20:54:14 PDT 2007

I love DSSS as a way of building released code - keep up the good work
Gregor.

However, its approach of building everything every time makes it
unsuitable during development. Hopefully this will be addressed eventually.

In the meantime, I am working on a project using gdc on Linux with
phobos, and have put together a simple build system (source attached).
It is a real hack so far, isn't portable and only handles d sources, but
it might stimulate a bit of interest.

Its features are:
* Automatic dependency detection.
* Compiles one source file at a time.
* Automatic linking of appropriate libraries.
* Enforcement of rather strict dependency rules (a pet subject of mine).
* Automatic execution of tests whose result files are out of date.
* Only building what is out of date.
* Uses directory naming conventions instead of configuration files.
* It is fast.

I plan to improve the build tool over time as I need improvements, but
it will always be limited to use "during development", and will only
ever be able to build code written to conform to its rules. That is, it
isn't intended to compete with dsss, which is far more general. Also, it
is fussy about dependencies in a way that most people don't like. I like
it because I tend to work on large projects where dependency management
is critical.

The idea is to develop something using this build tool, then repackage
the code for building and installation using dsss.