DSSS 0.73 released.

Knud Soerensen 4tuu4k002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Oct 11 10:13:48 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Knud Soerensen wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am trying to install DSSS 0.73 on linux.
>> and have add the steps on the wiki
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss/wiki/WikiStart
>>
>> But my installation fail in the last step when trying to
>> install dsss-test I get:
>> gcc dsss_objs/D/sss.test.main.o dsss_objs/D/sss.test.test.o
>> dsss_objs/D/nmd_gcstats.o -o dsss_test -m32 -Xlinker --start-group
>> -lphobos -Xlinker -L./ -Xlinker -L/home/knud/dsss/lib/ -Xlinker
>> -L/home/knud/dsss/lib -Xlinker -L/home/knud/d/lib -Xlinker
>> -L/home/knud/dsss/lib -Xlinker -L/home/knud/dsss/lib -lphobos
>> -lpthread -lm
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lphobos
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> --- errorlevel 1
>> Command /home/knud/dsss/bin/rebuild returned with code 65280, aborting.
>> Error: Command failed, aborting.
>>

>> What am I missing ???
>
> This is the problem with wikis :)
>
> I didn't make those instructions, please disregard them.

I made them because I had so much trouble installing DSSS.
And I am not the only one:
http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3074

After downloading, the first thing one does is looking for
a file called INSTALL.txt in the tar ball.
Failing that, the next thing is looking at the project front page.
So, please add install instruction to the project page.

The instuctions in README-BINARIES.txt is very bad.
It doesn't say which tools DSSS depend on to run correct g++,gcc,curl ...
And it dosen't say how to test that DSSS have been installed correctly
something like: dsss net install dsss-test

There is a file