DMD 2.006 release

Marcin Kuszczak aarti_nospam at please_interia.pl
Tue Oct 16 14:16:44 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:

> Carlos Santander wrote:
>> Maybe I missed something, but does the inclusion of std.variant mean
>> that std.boxer will be deprecated or removed at some point?
>

> Yes. If you're using boxer, take a serious look at variant, and see if
> that works for you.

There is missing functionality in variant though. I mean converting variadic
function parameters into array of Boxes. It's nice, so it should be
retained IMHO.

Or do you want to change variadic parameters to functions to something
better, so it would not be so usefull?

-----

I am also not sure if "variant inside variant" will work with opAssign.

I mean situation:
Variant a;
a =5;

Variant b;
b=a;

What is type of b? Variant or int? I don't see any other chance to make it
Variant, than using b.opAssign(a); what is quite ugly, and what worse needs
from developer previous decision which types will he store in Variant - if
he won't use "Variant inside Variant", so he can use normal assignments; in
other case he must consequently use b.opAssign(a) everywhere.

It seems that in this case Box was also better, than current implementation.

--
Regards
Marcin Kuszczak (Aarti_pl)