GPUFractal-1

Burton Radons burton-radons at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 17 12:30:13 PDT 2007

Hey guys, I've been fooling around with GLSL recently and realised I could do a Mandelbrot fractal at full frame rate, so I implemented a kind of mini-Ultra Fractal.

It works in single pass, so, uh, save your work before you try it because it just might cause your card to freeze if its GLSL support sucks or it isn't VERY good at branching shaders. If it works on your machine, I'd like to hear of it; if it doesn't, I'd also like to hear of it. For reference, my setup is an NVIDIA 8800 GTX (beta drivers) on Windows Vista with an Intel Dual Core 2.66GHz processor. I can confirm that it doesn't work on an ATI Radeon 9800 on Windows XP.

The interface is exclusively mouse based. Left mouse button to zoom in, right mouse button to zoom out, middle mouse button to scroll. Using the mouse wheel puts you in variable mode. The mouse wheel selects the current variable, dragging the left mouse button changes it (enumerations and floats are changed by dragging to the right or left), clicking the middle mouse button resets to the initial value, and right clicking returns to zoom/scroll mode.

You can modify or add to the formulas while it's running, look in the subdirectories.

http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/GPUFractal-1.7z (binary, 204KB)
http://members.shaw.ca/burton-radons/GPUFractal-1-source.7z (source, 1,360KB)

The source is pretty shit and will require slight modification of the makefile's paths to compile. I use D v1 and bud.