GPUFractal-1

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:17:14 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> My suggestions:
>>>
>>> 1) Put up a web page about it! Put the text in your announcement here
>>> on the web page.
>>>
>>> 2) Use standard zip files, not 7z.
>>
>> winrar handles 7z, so if you can open rar you can open 7z
>
> Lots of programs handle 7z. But a lot don't. If someone has to search
> for, download, and install yet another zipper he isn't going to bother
> with GPUFractal. There's a nearly infinite amount of downloads one can
> get from the internet, and it's real easy to pass by anything that
> offers even minor roadblocks to downloading.
>
> A friend of me told me long ago that he was successful because he was
> "easy to do business with". He tried to make it as painless and easy as
> possible for people to buy his products and services. Amazon does it
> with their "one click" thing. Apple does it with itunes. Just something
> to think about.

A flip side of this is that 7zs can be quite a bit smaller than Zips.
Smaller means faster to download, and cheaper to get.

Incidentally, I've been working with a non-techie person (senior
lecturer for Risk Management) on my honours project, and I used to send
him Zip files until I noticed that all the archives he sent me were 7zs :P

	-- Daniel