GPUFractal-2

Burton Radons burton-radons at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 20 09:53:30 PDT 2007

Yigal Chripun Wrote:

> What about Intel based graphics?
> I'm using a laptop and so have an integrated intel video card. It's an
> 910 according to device manager...

No way! DirectX Shader Model 2.0, which the GMA 910GL supports, only handles 32+64 total instructions and has no dynamic flow control support. I need a single-pass Turing complete GPU, which defines a fairly recent cut-off point for full capability.

I can see some way of computing a Mandelbrot fractal on such a machine (using 8.8 fixed point), but it would be much like the Mandelbrot printouts from the 1960s: slow to generate and low in detail. Sorry!