Vala could replace C ...

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Sep 4 00:10:24 PDT 2007

Charles D Hixson wrote:

> Vala is interesting, especially because it looks to have easy support
> for GTK, and easy linkage to C.  (Both ways?  It's not clear.  Could you
> call a Vala routine from a program started in C?)

Seeing as how "valac" generates C source code, I don't see why not...
e.g. http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/sample1.vala =>
	http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/sample1.h
	http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/sample1.c

"Vala is a modification of C# to better match the GObject type system."
I'm sure it could generate D source code instead, if it made any sense.

> And as usual the problem is with C++ libraries.  Nobody but C++ appears
> able to talk to them directly.  At some point I really MUST learn to use
> swig.

Nobody, *including* C++ itself, is able to talk with C++ libraries :-)

--anders