Monster - a game programming language

Anders Bergh anders1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 07:32:33 PDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Nicolay Korslund <korslund at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings my fellow D-icans!
>
> The first release - version 0.1 - of the Monster programming language is now available at http://monster.snaptoad.com
>
> Monster is a rather ambitious project of mine - it is a game scripting language based on D syntax and written entirely in D. To run Monster scripts, you first compile the scripts to byte code, and then link the VM into your program and run them there. This lets you integrate the scripts into your program or game, and basically makes your program an extension of the language VM. Monster includes some advanced features, such as states and (cooperative) multithreading. The concept is similar to UnrealScript, except that it is not bound to any specific engine (and that it is based on superior D syntax <g>.)
>
> Note that this is a pre-alpha release, and most features you would need to actually use the language (such as inheritance and memory allocation) are not implemented yet. There are some compilable examples on the web site, though.
>
> -Nico

Hey, that looks really nice :-) I'll play around with it later today.

One note however: Lua is really common in games, because of its very
liberal license (new BSD or so). Monster is released under the GPLv3.
Did you consider something like BSD or LGPL? This could be important
for things like the Deadlock game/engine, which is written in D but
isn't open source.