Monster - a game programming language

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:56:38 PDT 2007

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "renoX" <renosky at free.fr> wrote in message
> news:fbs3sk$2v30$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> Could you explain what you mean by 'states' here?
>> For me a state is when you assign a value to a variable which isn't what I
>> would call an 'advanced feature'..
>
> He probably means something like state machine constructs built into the
> language.  Something that's rather useful when it comes to game scripting.

It's something borrowed from UnrealScript.  From what I remember, you
could define blocks of code to be in a particular state, and then that
code would only execute in that state.

Yes, you can do this with ifs and switches, but it's used so very often
in games, it was promoted to a language feature.  Tim Sweeny's a damn
smart cookie when it comes to these things.  With ZZT (released in
1991), it had an OO scripting language that used coroutines; the
*editor* ended up being more popular than the game itself :P .

Monster is certainly interesting; I look forward to seeing where it goes.

	-- Daniel