D/Objective-C Bridge

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Sep 18 06:13:27 PDT 2007

Michel Fortin wrote:

> I took a look at Docoa a little while ago, but no, nothing is based on
> it. I've written it all from scratch. I think the only thing we have in
> common (and which could be harmonized) are the Objective-C runtime
> declarations for types and functions (converted from C headers).

As far as I know, the Docoa project is dead. If not, it's now obsolete.

> This is the logical choice for the name of the function, but if this
> doesn't work, I'd suggest tracing with the debugger into a real
> Objective-C program to check. That's something I can't do on my machine.

We can take it off this forum. I subscribed to your newsletter,er,list.

>> It does send the event though, so it might just be "a cocoa thing".
>> (i.e. printing out the value to the console in the controller works)
>
> It's missing its floating point return value. :-)

Not sure about that, since the return type is "void" for setFloatValue:

>> How do you intend to get around the copyright / distribution problem ?
>
> Not sure yet. Perhaps it should be based on GNUStep instead of Cocoa
> (while still making sure it works with Cocoa). Or perhaps we should just
> ask Apple, they seem pretty cool with language bridges these days
> (they're bundling PyObjC and RubyCocoa with Leopard I've heard).

I think it would be cool if GNUstep was supported, regardless of Apple.

> Erk. Sure, things could be patched, but I have the feeling a lot of
> patches are going to be needed. I wonder how Apple did their bridge with
> Java... oh, I see: that method just isn't there.

The JavaBridge is deprecated, so I don't think it sees much new stuff.

--anders