OpenMesh 1.9.5 ported to D

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Sep 23 15:39:57 PDT 2007

Will (quartz) wrote:
> Bill Baxter Wrote:
>
>> I ported most of the OpenMesh library from C++ to D
>> (http://www.openmesh.org)
>>
>> It's not available anywhere yet, but it will be eventually, under the
>> LGPL licence like its papa.
>> I'm mentioning it here now because I've just been lazy about putting it
>> up.  But if there's interest, I can work a little faster at getting a
>> project up for it on dsource.
>>
>> It's a 100% native D port rather than a wrapper.  OpenMesh is almost
>> entirely templates, so doing a wrapper didn't make much sense.
>>
>> --bb
>
> I would be interested in using it. I have a hacked together structure and have really wanted to standardize on something.
>
> Will OpenMeshD have places to "plug-in/provide" importers. I am currently importing x3d into my app that interfaces to ODE.org.

It's not set up to have dynamic plugins (as in loaded from a dll), but
it isn't hard to compile in new importers/exporters.

But OpenMesh is an implementation of a half-edge mesh data structure
which is really more useful for implementing mesh manipulation
algorithms (mesh smoothing, LOD algos).  If all you want to do is render
or deform, then all the connectivity info in a half-edge data structure
is wasteful.

Also the current code doesn't handle texture maps very well.  At least
the current loaders just ignore textures.  That's one thing I'd like to
fix, because I need textures.  I think the loaders could be improved to
store the texture info in mesh-level properties, but the main issue I
think is what representation to use for textures.

Anyway, there's a forum now, thanks to Brad, so maybe OpenMesh/D
specific chat should be moved over there:
    http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=159

--bb