Web, scripting languages & performance [Was: FlowerScirpt teaser]

Henning Hasemann hhasemann at web.de
Wed Sep 26 03:11:00 PDT 2007

Alexander Panek <a.panek at brainsware.org> wrote:
> Well, even the fact that it seems to use the dollar sign as variable
> prefix makes me go puke. Really. There are so many good languages out
> there, why do you need create a new, incompatible and most probably
> unsupported one? Rather use MiniD, Ruby, Python, or what not else, as
> they are actively developed and not just a small hack to get some
> more performance for a website.

If performance plays an important role, I wonder why nobody mentioned
lua. (I did never really work with it but some voices say its quite
fast, flexible and extensible with 'native code').

Also I have the feeling lots of people inseperable connect web
programming with scripting languages.

I see no real reason for not using plain D, maybe with a well-thought
web-framework/library for web-apps. I mean especially web-apps require
a good performance and if you remember that still lot of apps use CGI
it is gruesome to re-load an interpreter every request.

(I know there are lots of coutermeasures you can take against this
problem, I just wanted to show the extreme case)

Concerning security there ARE good reasons why you wouldnt want to
write your webapp in C++ or C, you almost pre-programmed buffer
overflows then. But D is lots more secure by design and if you look at
PHP, you see that a scripting host does not always liberate you from
buffer-overflows or other attacks.

I would love such a framework. I'm also wondering if there might be a
way to avoid that awful stateless coding style, ie to be able to do
something like:

----
ask_for_users_address();
// user gets a form to enter its address, program here is "frozen" here
// until the user submits or the session times out

ask_for_users_bank_account();
// present another form
----

Henning